I work, I travel, I cook, I eat!
On Wednesday, we had a guest, so a day before I was thinking of what dish to cook. I decided to make Beef Shepherd’s Pie. I was hesitant at first since I haven’t tried cooking it yet, but then I was confident that I could make it right. So, I took my cook book, made some twists to the recipe and gave it a try. In this dish, I used oyster sauce instead of Worcester sauce as I couldn’t find it the supermarket. I also used fresh tomato sauce instead of a ready-made tomato sauce. I added a teaspoon of oregano and 1 bulb of garlic.
It was my first time to cook this dish, but I would say that it was tasty and delicious and everybody was pleased with the result. In fact, our guest had 3 servings of it.
To inspire the home-cook-to-be, I would like to share with you all my first Beef Shepherd’s Pie.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 500 grams of minced beef
- 1 carrot, chopped into cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can green peas
- 1 bulb of garlic, chopped
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 medium to large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Soy sauce
- Oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Cook the meat. Add 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Break the meat up with a wooden spoon until the meat has turned browned.
- Cook the vegetables. On a separate pan, heat up the pan with some butter. Add onions, garlic, tomato, carrot, peas and oregano. Stir. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the mixture. Once the meat and vegetables are cooked, mix them together. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture in the pan and stir to combine. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Prepare mash potato. Boil the potatoes with salted water. When the potatoes are cooked, mash it with some butter and milk.
- Spoon the mashed potato over the mixture of meat and vegetables in the pan. Put it under the grill to brown for 20 minutes.