Two weeks ago, I was craving for some pasta so I decided to make chicken macaroni salad. I have two versions of macaroni salad that I love: First, a desert, without meat. Second, a main course, that meat is being added into the dish.
In the Philippines, macaroni salad is usually serve as a desert during parties or even in an ordinary meal at home. It is also a perfect dish for picnic or BBQ, just make sure you pack it with plenty of ice to keep it nice and cold, both during transportation and on the table.
I like chicken macaroni salad which is creamy but light. I like it with some sweet and spicy kick.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 500 grams of chicken breast, cubed
- 1 can of 340 grams Luncheon (pork) meat
- 500 grams of macaroni pasta
- 340 grams of cheese
- 250 mL fresh cream
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 450 grams of pineapple tidbits, drained
- 3 spoons of pineapple juice from the canned tidbits
- 425 grams of Kernel corn
- 1 medium size carrots, cubed
- 1 large size onion, cubed
- 2 medium size cucumbers, peeled and cubed
- Celery, chopped
- White pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil
- Prepare the macaroni. Put some water, half-filled into a big pot. Add olive oil and salt. Boil it. When the water is boiling, put the macaroni in. Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain then set aside.
- Prepare the meat. On a separate cooking pot, put some water and boil it. Once the water starts boiling, add 1 teaspoon salt and the onion then put in the chicken. Boil the chicken for about 20 minutes. Drain and let the chicken cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, fresh cream, garlic powder, pineapple juice, salt, and white pepper. Mix well and then taste. Adjust the taste as necessary.
- Add the chicken, luncheon meat, macaroni, carrot, celery, pineapple tidbits, kernel corn and cucumber in the mixing bowl. Toss thoroughly until the ingredients are well distributed. Add the cheese. Mix it gently. Cover the bowl. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy!