Potatoes, meat and cheese is a delectable combination that everyone in my family loves. It’s easy yet makes a hearty meal especially for a busy day.
This simple casserole is perfect for a side dish or main dish. And, in a small gathering of family or friends, this can be a sure crowd pleaser potluck dish that everyone would enjoy. Furthermore, I love the leftover as it is just as delightful when it’s eaten fresh.
For those who have wanted to learn to love casserole and for those who loves the simplicity of an all-in-one-dish, this cheesy potato and sausage casserole is a gorgeous dish for you.
Ingredients for 6 persons:
- 6 pieces of potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
- 500 grams of Italian sausage, chopped
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 medium size red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 gloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of parsley, finely chopped
- 50 grams of salted butter, melted
- 200 grams of cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh milk
- 20 cL fresh light cream
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C while preparing the mashed potatoes and sausage mixture.
- Put olive oil in a large skillet. Put in the Italian sausage and stir. After 5 minutes, add onion, red bell pepper, garlic and freshly cut black pepper. Stir. Let it cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Then set aside.
- Put the mashed potatoes in a mixing bowl. Add the melted butter, fresh cream, milk and 150 grams of cheese. Stir and mix thoroughly.
- When the mashed potato mixture is ready, put in the sausage mixture. Then mix it thoroughly.
- In an oven dish, put the potato and sausage mixture and spread evenly using a spatula. Then sprinkle the rest (50 grams) of the cheese on top of the mixture evenly. Lastly, spread some parsley on top of the cheese.
- Put the potato and sausage casserole into the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes at 200°C.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes after you take it out from the oven before letting everybody help themselves.