We enjoy trying out new dishes, and this time it’s Garbure, a French stew of chicken with cabbage and other vegetables.
We love stew not only because it’s easy to make, filling and inexpensive; but it is also a great way to let our son eat a variety of vegetables. The stew is creamy and not too thick with beans, potatoes, leeks, and celery. Plus, this dish gets better with each successive reheating. It is so wholesome, delicious and aromatic.
While hearty Garbure is very common in Gascony, in the south-west of France, where the weather is cooler than in Cambodia, we still love eating it here. So what better dish to prepare than a Garbure, using our favorite Garbure recipe, which provides a whole amount of healthy protein, fiber, and nutrients along with it.
Certainly, Garbure is our new comfort for food.
Ingredients good for 8 persons:
- 600 grams of chicken breast skinless, boneless, cut
- 2 balls of garlic, sliced
- 4 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 5 ribbed stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 whole stalks of leeks, chopped
- 1 can white beans
- 1 whole cabbage, chopped
- 100 grams butter
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons of thyme
- 2 teaspoons of parsley
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- soy sauce, to taste
- 5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cubes of chicken broth
How to cook it:
- In a big cooking pot, put 1 liter of water and chicken broth with parsley, bay leaves and thyme.
- Add the garlic, onion, potatoes, carrots, celery, leeks, cabbage and white beans.
- Let it boil until it is cooked. (if you let the dish boil long enough, the potatoes and beans will partially melt, making the stew creamy without needing to add cream or flour. This way the stew stays light)
- In a separate frying pan, cook the chicken in butter and add black pepper.
- When the chicken is ready add it to the vegetable mixture in the pot.
- Add some soy sauce and salt.
- Let it boil for ten extra minutes.
- Share, serve and enjoy!