I finished work late on Thursday, and while I was at work, I received a telegram message from husband saying “Surprise dinner tonight. Healthy.” I was thrilled and flabbergasted. The moment I received his message my stomach started to rumble.
When I came home the house smelled so heavenly good – the pungent smell of cooked moules marinière wafted through every nook and cranny of the house. Moules marinière is the quintessential French dish. The splash of spanking fresh mussels, white wine and shallots give an extra kick.
When I looked the huge steaming pot filled with these yellow charms, it felt like a festivity but this classic recipe is very easy to cook and to put together. Moules marinière is very comforting, super delicious and totally healthy loaded with full of goodness – high in protein, iron, calcium, Omega-3 fatty acids, low in calories, low in fat, rich in Vitamin A and B12, etc.
While we were having dinner, I loved watching my son devouring the mussels with joy. And I couldn’t get enough of these myself. We had it with steamed rice because it can soak up the sauce but you can also serve it with French fries. It was absolutely a great dinner, and little things and little surprises certainly always makes me happy. Thank you, My Alan!
If you wish to cook yourself a restaurant-style moules marinière, here’s my husband simple six-step recipe:
What you will need:
- a kilo of mussels, washed and cleaned
- 30 cl of white wine
- 2 medium-size onions, cubes
- 20 grams of salted butter
- 2 tsp French Tarragon
- 1 tsp of salt
How to make it:
- Wash the mussels with running water. Put them in salted water for about an hour so that the mussels would get rid of their water.
- In a cooking pot, melt the butter and caramelize the onions.
- When the onions are caramelized, add the wine, salt, tarragon, and a bit of water. Stir. Let it cook for 5 min.
- Put in the mussels into the pot. Mix well. Let it cook for 20 min or until all the mussels are opened and cooked.
- Discard the ones that are still closed.
- Serve, share and enjoy.