Both my husband and I grew up with family dinners every night. So, we try to make it happen in our own family because we reckon it is the best way to connect and find out what’s going on with each other, and it creates memorable family meals.
On top of that, every week, we always have a night assigned for easy fun family meal – either we do a DIY family dinner or we order food for delivery. Thus, for tonight, we decided to make succulent homemade burgers with homemade buns and homemade patties and packed with fresh organic lettuce, tomatoes, and onions and herbs for extra flavor and Emmental cheese.
I made the buns and my husband cooked the patties. In his burger recipe, he used minced pork and minced chicken to maintain the softness. He thinks that beef alone makes it too tough, chicken alone too dry and pork alone too fat.
We love juicy burger, but each of us has different opinions about what should be included. Plus, customizing our own burger makes everyone happy. It was certainly fun and we love the interactive dinner vibe. Overall, all of us enjoyed our delicious restaurant-style burgers.
What you need for buns:
- 3 tbsp salted butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 eggs (1 for the dough + 1 for the egg wash)
- 1 pack instant yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
What you need for patties:
- 500 grams minced chicken
- 500 grams minced pork
- 3 big onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
- 2 tsp of flour
- red pepper, freshly crashed and to taste
- cooking sunflower oil
What you need for homeburgers:
- 1 big tomato, sliced
- Emmental cheese
- Tartare sauce
- Rouille sauce
- Aioli sauce
How to make buns:
- In a mixing bowl, put in the butter, milk, sugar, egg, yeast and flour.
- Mix well. Let it rest for 1 hour until the dough has risen well or double in size.
- Knead the dough until it becomes softer and no more leftover.
- Form it into small balls. Let it rest for 45 minutes until they double in size.
- Prepare the egg wash in a separate small bowl. Whisk up 1 egg and 1 tsp of water.
- Brush the surface of the bread.
- Spread sesame seeds
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 160⁰C for about 17 minutes.
- Take it out from the oven and let it cool down for about 2 hours.
How to make patties:
- Put the minced pork and minced chicken in a mixing bowl. Add soy sauce and flour. Mix well. Set aside.
- Sautee the onions until it becomes caramelized.
- Put in the onions into the meat mixture.
- Form small balls. Flatten it.
- Fry the patties in a high fire.
- Put them on a paper towel to remove some oil and to let it cool down.
- Assemble your burger your way until it reaches perfection.