Oh apples – we love apples and we love pie. And apple pie is our new quintessential dessert – it warms me and my family up from the inside out. It’s so delicious, healthy and we all love it.
So what makes this apple pie stand out for us?
- We love the simplicity of this dish. It’s easy – just mix everything together into a bowl then pour the mixture into a homemade crust. And while it’s in the oven, it makes the house smell incredible and everybody loves it.
- We love the combination of flour, apples, spice, a delicious golden crust and everything nice. And to make it healthier I used honey instead of sugar. I also tried making it with all green apples and a mixture of green and red apples – they both taste lovely. We love the balance of flavors – it’s just right!
I was on a cloud nine when my succulent homemade circle of happiness was a success, and I was over the moon when I learned that a slice of it makes everyone feel better.
So, here’s my simple, easy and scrumptious recipe of Apple Pie that could warm the hearts of your loved ones. Could there be anything better?
Ingredients for the pie crust:
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of cold water
- 20 grams of butter at room temperature
- 4 tbsp of white refined sugar
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 large egg
Ingredients for the fillings:
- 6 green apples OR 4 Fuji red apples + 2 green apples.
- 4 tbsp of flour
- 5 tbsp of honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
1.Make the pie crust.
- Mix the flour, egg, butter, salt, sugar, and cold water until the flour is moistened.
- Sprinkle some more cold water on it a little at a time until you achieve the consistency of dough.
- Form into a two big balls. Place it on a plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Flour the surface of the working area.
- Roll it out to your desired thickness. Make sure the edges extend a couple of inches beyond the 9-inch pie plate.
- Press it into the pie plate. Fix up any tears. Finish off the ragged ends into a neat edge.
2. Make the fillings.
- Sliced the apples into wedges. Make sure to get rid of stems, seeds and brown spots. Set aside.
- In a small dry bowl, combine the flour, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger and salt. Mix them well.
- Arrange the apples into the pie crust to avoid spaces. Then add the sauce from the apple mixture.
- Refrigerate while preparing the cover of the pie.
3.Make the cover of the pie.
- Roll the dough out to your desired thickness.
- Cut the dough into stripes.
- Put the stripes on top of the apples to cover the pie. Weave the dough stripes (alternating the stripes in and out).
- Press the edges. Cover the edge with tin foil.
- Brush some melted butter on the stripes to make it a little bit brown.
4. Preheat the oven for 5 minutes.
5. Bake the apple pie at 200⁰C for about 50 minutes.
6. Let it cool for about 3 hours before serving.
7. Et voila – apple pie is ready! Serve, share and enjoy!