I was longing for a beef stew, so I thought of making one of my favorite hearty Filipino stew, Kaldereta, another dish I learned from my mom.
Originally, Kaldereta uses goat meat, but my family prefers beef with potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, fresh tomato sauce and liver pate, which gives this dish its own identity. However, this time, I am adding mushrooms and red wine for some little French twist. So it was quite a combination.
Even though Beef Kaldereta is easy to cook, it requires a long cooking time so that the meat becomes really tender.
Sometimes I serve it with steamed rice and sometimes we just ate it as it is. It was a great hit and it’s definitely a keeper!
Ingredients good for 6 servings:
Marinate the beef:
- 1 kg of beef, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Beef marinate
- 2 medium carrots, cut roughly
- 1 large potato, cut roughly
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 5 big tomatoes, cut roughly
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1 Knorr beef cube
- 150 grams of liver pate
- 1 small can green peas
- 425 grams of mushroom
- 1 bottle red wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- black pepper, freshly crashed, to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour
How to make it:
- Put the meat in a marinating bowl. Add oyster sauce and soy sauce. Mix thoroughly. Set aside and marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Put olive oil in a cooking pot.
- Sautéed the garlic, onion and tomato.
- Add the beef marinate, and cook until it turns light brown.
- Put in the liver pate. Stir.
- Pour 500 mL of water. Mix. Add the Knorr beef cube. Stir. Cover the pot. Cook in low heat for about 1.5 hours or until the beef gets tender. Add more water if needed.
- Add freshly crashed black pepper. Stir thoroughly.
- While the stew is simmering, put the mushroom in a separate frying pan. Let it cook for about 7 minutes so that the water in it will evaporate.
- Pour in the wine. Stir.
- Add potatoes, carrots and mushroom. Stir. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Prepare a flour mixture. Put a tablespoon of flour in a small cup. Add water, and stir thoroughly so that the flour dissolves.
- Pour in the flour mixture in to the cooking pot. Stir. Keep stirring regularly so that it won’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the bell peppers and green peas. Stir. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Et voila! Serve, share and enjoy!